Techmate 7000: Samsung Develops Mobile DRAM with Wide I/O Interface

Monday, February 21, 2011

Samsung Develops Mobile DRAM with Wide I/O Interface

Samsung Develops Mobile DRAM with Wide I/O Interface












Samsung announced today the development of 1 gigabit mobile DRAM with a wide I/O interface, using 50-nanometer class process technology. The new wide I/O mobile DRAM it will be used in mobile applications, such as smartphones and tablet PCs.
The new 1Gb wide I/O mobile DRAM can transmit data at 12.8 gigabyte per second, which increases the bandwidth of mobile DDR DRAM (1.6GB/s) eightfold, while reducing power consumptions by approximately 87 percent. The bandwidth is also four times that of LPDDR2 DRAM (which is approximately about 3.2GB/s).
To boost data transmission, Samsung’s wide I/O DRAM uses 512 pins for data input and output compared to the previous generation of mobile DRAMs, which used a maximum of 32 pins. If you include the other pins that are involved in sending commands and regulating power supply, a single Samsung wide I/O DRAM is designed to accommodate approximately about 1,200 pins.

No comments:

Post a Comment