Techmate 7000: GeoPalz – Finally, Tech That Gets Kids Off the Couch

Sunday, February 6, 2011

GeoPalz – Finally, Tech That Gets Kids Off the Couch



I have an eight year old that wants nothing more than to run around outside all day. She has known her way around a computer since she was two, but outside is where she wants to be. To hear it be told, I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. Parents are sick of seeing their kids on the couch.
Welcome GeoPalz, In the original version GeoPalz is basically a pedometer that tracks the users steps throughout the day. The steps are then logged onto the GeoPalz website under their profile. I guess in order to wean kids even further off the computer, newer versions will include activity trackers that will not require manual logins. At the end of each day your kid logs their steps into the GeoPalz website and the steps are counted as miles/points that can be redeemed for all sorts of real prizes that will be shipped to your house and award certificates that can be printed and hung on a wall.
Eventually, the website will be able to send parents updates on their kids progress, by letting them know how far the kid walked, it will include graphs and charts letting you know if it was more or less than average. Also in the future the company looks to offer location based prizes from merchants in your families local area.
Like I said, I’m one of the lucky ones, although we should probably still get one that I could wear, and the reports can get sent to my kid… I’m pretty darn fond of our couch. Available for around $20.00 from  www.amazon.com
  

No comments:

Post a Comment